Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Race

Default Future episodes scrapped??

It certainly would be nice to get some sort of news from Ritual as to the status of Episode 2....or any future episode for that matter.

Has it been scrapped.......will it come out at some point in our lifetime.........anything at all??? Was the preview at the end of Emergence just for show?

It's pushing a year now since the US release with absolutely zero news on any future episodes. (I've seen nothing on any game site/Sin site anywhere)
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Shoelip
Experienced

Default Re: Future episodes scrapped??

Calm down, and use the search engine to find one of the dozens of other posts just like this one before you make another one.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
AlFitz
Rookie

Emergence was released in May as I remember, too early to Ep2 off yet.
AlFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Raveness
Veteran

Pushing a year now???

Then I guess at my age I'm pushing 50. I'm sooo old

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Greybeard
Regular

Let's not panic. H-L2:Ep1 was a contemporary of our own, dear SiN and for all the trailers and teasers, I don't see a firm release date, yet. Summer 2007 seems to be the best guess. SiN:Ep2 in the same timemescales doesn't seem unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
... I'm pushing 50. I'm sooo old
I saw off 50 a while back. Don't worry. You're a youngster .

Cheers

Greybeard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Ritual Entertainment Re: Future episodes scrapped??

We have a lot going on at Ritual right now, and from our experiences with Episode 1, we learned a lot of lessons about talking about a game before its time.

When we have something to say, the world will know.

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 AM   #7
Tyrant9
Experienced

I think the concern is that we expect episodic games to be a few months release affair. We certainly don't expect it to be annual. But with HL2: Ep2 being announced for next year's release, we have a very good reason to be worried for Sin: Ep2.
Tyrant9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
Shoelip
Experienced

I don't really have a problem with episodic content being annual. In my opinion it's allot better than the way EA releases a "new" game for the major sports every year.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
fjf314

Send a message via AIM to fjf314 Send a message via MSN to fjf314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Russell View Post
We have a lot going on at Ritual right now, and from our experiences with Episode 1, we learned a lot of lessons about talking about a game before its time.

On one hand, I can understand that and it makes sense. On the other hand, though, as is demonstrated by all of the threads like this one, if nothing is said a lot of people will simply write off the series, assume no more games are going to be made, and then not care enough to buy future episodes when they're finally released.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
fjf314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #10
elwing
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf314 View Post
On one hand, I can understand that and it makes sense. On the other hand, though, as is demonstrated by all of the threads like this one, if nothing is said a lot of people will simply write off the series, assume no more games are going to be made, and then not care enough to buy future episodes when they're finally released.
I perfectly understand that ritual avoid putting all its new content in first view, that will avoid to find a hl:ep3 with all the good idea of sin... but just a few screenshot of new location without anything else might calm worried user without helping other designer too much just my trough at least...
elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Tyrant9
Experienced

There IS a problem of episodic games being annual, the major concern is that the Source engine may possibly end up outdated, and when episode 9 comes (in 2012, perhaps), gamers are already moving onto a newer, better engine.

Personally, I'm used to episodes of TV show being released weekly. Then episodes of Japanese OAVs released a few months between each other. But episodes being done annually is overkill.

However, I do hope Ritualistic knows what they are doing.
Tyrant9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

I think that there won't be annual releases for all episodes. In fact I bet that episode 3 will roll about much sooner after ep 2 than ep 2 after ep 1. Why? Because Ritual haven't found their way in yet. That's what episode 1 was for, to test, kind of like a prototype of episodic gaming. Now they need to make the first REALLY great ep, and that takes a bit more time. And once that's done, I'll expect the following episodes within months, not years. I have that much faith in Ritual

Quote:
but just a few screenshot of new location without anything else might calm worried user without helping other designer too much
Couldn't help but smile about that one! =D
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
elwing
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant9 View Post
There IS a problem of episodic games being annual, the major concern is that the Source engine may possibly end up outdated, and when episode 9 comes (in 2012, perhaps), gamers are already moving onto a newer, better engine.

Personally, I'm used to episodes of TV show being released weekly. Then episodes of Japanese OAVs released a few months between each other. But episodes being done annually is overkill.

However, I do hope Ritualistic knows what they are doing.
I do not think they will let steam go outdated, they'll prolly just improve the graphic engine, as sony done for everquest... they won't trow the steam abonment mechanism, they'll lose too much money if they'll do that... but there is no way to be sure...
elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
fjf314

I think you got confused on what Tyrant was saying. I have no concerns about the future of Steam. However, the Source engine that Ritual is using to make the Sin Episodes could very well end up outdated. If that happens, then Ritual will be trying to convince users to both 1.) stick with an episodic gaming series and 2.) using software built on an older, less impressive engine (hypothetically.)

Regardless, I still think that a lot of this worry and speculation could, at least in part, be put to rest if we were just given a glimpse or hint of something that is being developed.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #15
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Why is graphics everything to some of you...

Just look at the Wii it has sold more than double the PS3 in 24 hours and it has the worst graphics out of all of them.

I would rather them worry about enticing and fun game play than how pretty the games will be compared to some other game such as crysis.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
fjf314

Your post is the first one to mention graphics at all. While a new engine would undoubtedly improve the graphics, there are other benefits, as well. You're the one soley equating a new engine with better graphics.

Regardless, while no one in this thread has expressed any concern over graphics, you can't deny that often times pretty graphics = popular appeal.

--------------------
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #17
Xenogenetic
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Why is graphics everything to some of you...

Just look at the Wii it has sold more than double the PS3 in 24 hours and it has the worst graphics out of all of them.
There are also a bunch more Wii's than PS3's, and quite a big price difference.

But I do want more interactivity and mutating-as-I-fight-them mutants.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #18
Raveness
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
There are also a bunch more Wii's than PS3's, and quite a big price difference.

But I do want more interactivity and mutating-as-I-fight-them mutants.
Definitely the main reasons As a percentage of total available units that have been sold, the PS3 is much closer to 100% than the Wii. I bet the Wii crosses the 1 million sold mark on Wednesday.

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
mongis
Rookie

Hopefully they're working hard on the multiplayer, and that's what stalling rapid progress on ep2.. A good mp could be important, since mp seems to be the most important thing to a lot of people. If mp comes out and it's great, the word will spread and the SiN community will grow.. I don't think most people have a problem with spending 15 dollars for a good, fun multiplayer. = more people playing, more fun and more money to ritual who can make better even episodes (faster?)
mongis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:53 AM   #20
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

People worry too much. I'm probably more excited than most of you about Episode 2, yet I only check back here once a month or so. I say let them work. There's plenty of other games to play while you wait. Go play a really long game like Planescape Torment - that's what I'm doing right now.

Anyway, once Multiplayer is released, I expect the community to grow.

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #21
Standoff
Veteran

I have the answer from Michael Russel on this very subject! He said....nothing, because my bro wanted to play Generals right after I mentioned it.

Beat that!
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
Stilgar
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing View Post
I do not think they will let steam go outdated, they'll prolly just improve the graphic engine, as sony done for everquest... they won't trow the steam abonment mechanism, they'll lose too much money if they'll do that... but there is no way to be sure...
Steam has nothing to do with the Source engine

--------------------
Fear is the mind-killer!
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #23
Shoelip
Experienced

Well except that they are both made, supported, and controled by Valve, and all but one Source engine game released so far has been on Steam. I can see how someone might make the mistake.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #24
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Russell View Post

acaully, maybe it would be best to announce and explain whats happening. to be honest I have no idea of everthing of whats going one. what percentage are you though your 'planned implamentation' lists for these projects, or do you not have one for some (is there a diffrent number you could give us for them?).

also because of what you have learned, how much of episode 2 is being reworked? (as you probably started making episode 2 along with episode 1). again percentages would be nice, but just keep things as vague as possible (like; we are trying to bring a feeling of X, or we are looking to develope a game element that will add Y to the game.[list the goals/aimed end result; you can argue them either way])

also its a good idea to say something, so we know you are there. nobody wants to be that kid that nobody knows. you need to go to a party and dance, be seen a little. you might not only get some Ex, but you may also make some more freinds.
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #25
Xenogenetic
Addict

guru7892 I would like them to work on the game instead of talking about it, I'd rather a mystery box appear on my doorstep one day that turned out to be episode 2 rather than have them talk about it for years and finally release it.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote