Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 12-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Icculus LoK
Fanatic

Default SiN crashing in winXP?

any clues? Its just dying when i click the exe
Icculus LoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Default Re: SiN crashing in winXP?

Working fine with WinXP Home edition, with all updates installed, one possible workaround is to add line +main_menu to shortcut helped me once, but i haven't had such problem anymore, other is choosing compability mode with win98. One thing, i haven't reinstalled it after changing windows version, dunno if its affecting somehow? Probably driver related problem, hopefully you got something from this lousy help. Menu_main goes to menu and main_menu goes to console with error insult, so it works both ways, worth to try [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
Icculus LoK
Fanatic

Anyone else got some ideas, cant get it workign still. Im very sad [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Grandpapa
Fanatic

One possible solution is to disable anisotropic filtering and antialiasing, that was my problem, when enabled them, i couldn't run Sin at all, results were same as you have when had those enabled. Deleting all 3dfx related dll's from sin folder won't hurt as those are known trouble makers with nvidia based gfx cards.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
Icculus LoK
Fanatic

well i got it working, not really sure how, but its working. But im getting a problem after i play for 10 min. The game gets really really choppy then crashes with what i think is a memory error. I forgot to write it down. ANy thoughts?

Was nice to get on PoD and clear the place out lol. Made me remember the old days. was dm9, good old rocket island. Ran around sniping everyone ( was only 2 people ). I hope i can get the bugs ironed out so we can all meet up again, im sure you all can hand my ass to me now [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #6
sickphuk3
Experienced

yeah check out ur fps... mine the default value is 1000
so i set mine to 125 for my gf4
hope that works [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
sickphuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #7
ninken
Fanboy

Could it be the game was made a long time ago?
ninken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Do you mean that Sin is

Old 12-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Icculus LoK
Fanatic

oddly it seems to have fixed itself. maybe it was a program i had running in the backround and when i r ebooted it stopped it /shrug.

Got most my setting back to normal and is working good. Supried how many peoplea re flaoting aorund on the sinpod server, usualy if i wanna hope on for a few, someone is there.

Nice.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:33 AM   #10
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Nice [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Forgot to mention about it, but good to hear that you figured it out by yourself.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:43 AM   #11
Bad_Bud
Casual

*bump* and question... what do I do if I have a radeon 9600?
The catalyst doesn't let you turn off anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering completely, they're always at 2x... so I can't run the game =/

Heres a pic, any help?

Oh, and selecting application preference doesn't fix it.
Bad_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:52 AM   #12
ran93r
Addict

Setting the cats back to the defaults on that properties tab and the one behind it will set the drivers back to application preference and no-aa respectively, if you still can't run sin after that, it has nothing to do with the drivers. I'm running a 9800 with the latest cats and have no problems selecting default options.
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #13
Bad_Bud
Casual

Yeah, I can still select default, but default is 2x.

You said no AA, respectively... but mine only goes down to 2x =[.

And, considering its the exact same thing as grandpapa had... and also considering they wont turn off...
Old 06-19-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Bad_Bud
Casual

Here are some screen captures for reference.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #15
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

What happens when you check the Application Preference boxes?
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #16
Bad_Bud
Casual

Lol, those pics were taken when application preference was on.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #17
ran93r
Addict

so the next question is what version exactly of the catalyst's are you using and have you tried running the game in compatability mode at all?

not seen it with sin but i have some older games that really hate xp visual styles and need to run in compat mode with disable visual themes checked.

The screenshot looks a lot like the problems I had with my cats a while back on BF:Nam and FarCry... generally I have found it is a driver problem after all, you could try installing the latest drivers (or even reverting to an older set). If you are going to try changing drivers, aside from unistalling the old ones first there is a driver cleanup utility available on the ATI support pages that will clear out all driver references in the registry to ensure a clean install of a new set.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #18
Bad_Bud
Casual

I have the newest version of the driver, because farcry wouldn't run without it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #19
Bad_Bud
Casual

Oh, and all those screenshots above were while I was running in windows 98 compatability mode. I would also like to state that Quake2 and Half-Life run fine... Back when I originally played the game, was when I was on windows 98 with an Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440.

The previous ATI drivers still didn't allow the turning off of anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering either...

I also tried running all the different compatability options, more than once each... I tried the disabled visual effects, 640 x 480, and the 256 colors. =/ I also tried the advanced text option. I also tried with all of them selected. Nothing worked, same problem... =/ I don't think its going to run as long as I have an ATI card (which I have hated since I got...)
Old 06-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #20
ran93r
Addict

The issue looks like it's the same as I experienced (from the screenshots). This issue was fixed for me by rolling back to :
wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c.exe

It is noted on their support site as an issue with the anti-aliasing, however I cannot find ANY reason why any driver would not let you select "application preference" and is surely a matter you should discuss with them yourself.
My issue was in part solved by driver switching but also making sure the drivers were all set to defaults and application preference in the aa tab and if you can't get your drivers to do that, see what ATI themselves have to say (although it might be in your interest to keep from them the info regarding the game itself as they would likely claim not to support a title so old)
Old 06-21-2004, 01:06 AM   #21
Bad_Bud
Casual

? Application preference can be enabled. But I believe that the "application preference" only has the ability to bring the anti aliasing down to 2x, not off. (example: Application preference allows the game to choose 2x, 4x, or 6x.) So it never really turns off. Lol, this sucks... I'm getting an nVidia as soon as possible... (I know for sure that I'm getting one when Doom3 comes out =/)
Old 06-21-2004, 04:19 AM   #22
ran93r
Addict

Application Preference means just that, the application, in this case sin, decides what level of AA to use. To my knowledge there are no settings for this in the game so assume it would default to none.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #23
Bad_Bud
Casual

But it doesnt ^_^
Old 06-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #24
Grandpapa
Fanatic

You could try to to lower your texture preference settings and mipmap detail level, well don't really know if it would help at all, but worth of try anyways. Too bad that i can't chek it out at the moment [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #25
Bad_Bud
Casual

oh well.... *waits for sin2*.... =]

How about everybody at ritual devealop sin2 in their freetime... and have it 1/4 done by the time a publisher accepts the project! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Who am I kidding? =]