Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 12-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Default Check List for Porting Games to PC

Alright, this is a random thought but I thought I should share it cause I'm nice like that. lol Anyway, title says it all. Am I sarcastic or am I series when stating this stuff? Is some of it series and some of it not? You decide. Add more if you like! (In no particular order)

1. Control Mapping - Now, since you know that most everyone uses w, s, d, a for PC controls, you're going to throw them off by forcing them to use 8, 5, 6, 4 on the number pad by not allowing them to switch those movement keys. If they don't have a number pad then they need to go buy one. Also, make Game Pad usage difficult. This will have the player learn something while trying to play by forcing them to go online and look for a solution, or ask a friend who knows about XPadder.

2. Graphics - Almost everyone knows that computers today can handle far more pressure than the common console, so what you do is take the graphics of the game and pull the bar DOWN to ensure that the graphical quality will not hinder the frame rate. This may sound like reverse logic but its perfectly sound. If you don't know why, then you don't need to be porting games.

3. Make someone else do it - You've already taken the time to have the game developed for the console. You're probably VERY tired of hearing people groan and moan about how they want a PC version to come out because they don't have the console, well, put pressure on someone else so you can get what you need done, which is developing worse games every year!

4. Character movements - As many well know, since the PC is faster the character needs to be able to turn on a dime, so if you had movements such as a turning motion or a mild stop to turn around and run the other way motion in the console version, take that out, PC gamers will love you for it.

5. PreRendered Cutscenes - Even though a TV's standard resolution is about 800 x 600 on a computer screen scale while a monitor can reach an excess of 1600 x 1200 that's no reason to try and add high definition quality to the cutscene. If the person starts complaining to tech support about how pixelated the scene is, have the tech support person tell them to lower their resolution to 640 x 400 to solve the problem and then it'll look like high quality.

6. Sound Quality - If you're hearing more static than you are the characters talking, then you might want to change it, but if you can make out blurbs of what the characters are saying between some bits of static each time they begin to talk, then you're fine.

7. Subtitles - Don't add them. If the person doesn't understand the language then its their fault not yours. No need to hire someone to type up the script.

8. Forum Tech Support Only! - This makes filtering a lot easier and far cheaper because you can do it yourself in your free time. If someone looks like they don't know what they're talking about (i.e. A glitch where the character is invisble or an enemy is completely unbeatable) just don't bother to respond. He doesn't know anything afterall so he's not worth the effort to look into the supposed problem.

9. Don't Patch - The game was just fine on the console, why would the PC version need patches to solve something that isn't broken? Just ship the game and move on. No need to spend coder's perfectly good time working on a game that's already out to the public. And if someone releases an unsupported patch, send them a legal letter to get them to stop tampering with the coding of the game because you're worried they'll steal it.

10. Don't support Modding Communities - Just because Oblivion is known mostly for its slew of incredible and well designed mods doesn't mean your game has to be. It should be made popular on its own, so don't bother releasing any code or SDKs. Afterall, do you really want someone showing off that they can do better in their spare time with a group of friends doing it for free than you did with an abundence of over paid coders? I didn't think so.

That's all I could think of. How did I do?

--------------------

Last edited by Bounty_Hunter_Jo : 12-25-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Bounty_Hunter_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: Check List for Porting Games to PC

So is this supposed to be funny?

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
So is this supposed to be funny?
Didn't notice it was dripping with heavy sarcasm? >.>

--------------------
Old 12-27-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty_Hunter_Jo View Post
Didn't notice it was dripping with heavy sarcasm? >.>
I was going for satire but sarcasm works aswell...

--------------------
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Raveness
Veteran

Really bad satire at that...

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
Really bad satire at that...
As I said, random thought. I honestly don't care how it turned out. I just remember playing a few bad ports, Devil May Cry 3 to name one, Pirates of the Carribean: Jack Sparrow to name another. And it just kinda popped into my head so, there ya have my end result of that train of thought. ^_^

--------------------
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Raveness
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty_Hunter_Jo View Post
As I said, random thought. I honestly don't care how it turned out. I just remember playing a few bad ports, Devil May Cry 3 to name one, Pirates of the Carribean: Jack Sparrow to name another. And it just kinda popped into my head so, there ya have my end result of that train of thought. ^_^
Wow, I like you ^_^ didn't go on an ego-bruised tirade or anything. Kudos

It's not what you yourself particularily said, just that the topic of consolitis has been beaten to death. Since console titles sell much more, the PC version has become an afterthought, and suffers a lot of the time from what you've mentioned.

I don't generally get ports as they are easy to identify, but of the top of my head I have 4 that felt the sting of poor porting (Thief DS, Deus Ex: IW, Stubbs the Zombie, Fahrenheit). Thief and Fahrenheit were great enough as to make me forget the shortcomings, the other two not so much. Escape from Butcher Bay is the only port I know of that was executed very well, including a developers commentary track. 1,2,4, & 9 would be my biggest gripes. 3,8, & 10 could happen if they are a small company and don't have the time/resources

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Thief I didn't find that bad, but then again I kinda used the High Definition Texture Pack (GREAT thing to have by the way) and just plain loved the Thief series anyway. Deus Ex: IW... I have my issues with that, but none related to porting so much as mainstreaming. Escape from Butcher Bay was actually a pretty decent port, if you can even call it that now as they seemed to do a really smooth job of tranfering it over. A few hickups here and there, but nothing too major as other ports. Fahrenheit kinda, sorta, slightly, let me down. I was hoping for something a bit more visually stunning to go with the impressively original story line and game play, but it dropped the ball on that in all versions of it. But really you can't complain because it was a good game, but felt like a narrow area in which you could stray at times, not a lot of room for what-ifs.

Arguing over the internet is a waste of time and effort. Life's too short to care about an opinion on a silly little matter from someone probably seven states (or whatever) away. ^_^ And if you're my neighbor by some strange mythical happening then I still don't care >.> Same for feeling 'hurt' by an internet comment. That's very emo of a person.

All-in-all, it turned out to be a little spur of the moment rant by yours truely because it was a thought that popped into my head, and I felt this forum community needs a firecracker lit in a place where the sun shouldn't touch. *nods*

-Small Tangent-

You people need to become more active! o_o Its so dead here. I'm worried it'll turn out like that TimeShift game and completely phase away into nothingness... Such great potential in that game too... *Weeps over it* And I played the demo back when it was Atari's project too!

--------------------