Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 10-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Ritual Entertainment QotW: The Tribe Reloaded

Game publishers like franchises. The reason is pretty simple...franchises make money. The longer you can keep a franchise going, the more money you can make with it.

However, it takes good games to make a franchise. Sometimes, a bad game can push a franchise to the point of irrelevance.

This leads to this weeks QotW:
If you could pick one franchise from any studio ever (either current or deceased) and have Ritual re-invent or re-energize that franchise, which franchise would it be and why?

Also, what do you think the end result would look like?
Again, have fun with it. We've been getting some really creative answers over the last few weeks, so keep 'em coming!

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: QotW: The Tribe Reloaded

You could take all the Barbie games ever made and turn them into some twisted Andy Sidaris cyber-playground. Eww.

--------------------

Last edited by Xenogenetic : 10-23-2006 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Different idea
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Shoelip
Experienced

The Elder Scrolls. If it's going to be turned into an action series it might as well be by someone who knows how to make action games.

Fallout. Same as above, though Troika would have been my wish before.

Seriously though, maybe Shogo: Mobile Armor Division.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Eveningfall
Rookie

Duke Nukem. I think you guys can not only finish the game, but make it kick ass (no disrespect to 3D Realms).

Contra. An awesome action game that needs a good 3D treatment.

Starcraft Ghost. (See my note for Duke Nukem)

--------------------
"This ain't no cutscene! Press A!"
Eveningfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
Shoelip
Experienced

Speaking of Starcraft: Ghost, ever notice how Blizzard always seems to scrap their most unconventional ideas after they are well into development? First Warcraft Adventures and now Ghost.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
a_nevels666
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Russell View Post
Game publishers like franchises. The reason is pretty simple...franchises make money. The longer you can keep a franchise going, the more money you can make with it.

However, it takes good games to make a franchise. Sometimes, a bad game can push a franchise to the point of irrelevance.

This leads to this weeks QotW:
If you could pick one franchise from any studio ever (either current or deceased) and have Ritual re-invent or re-energize that franchise, which franchise would it be and why?

Also, what do you think the end result would look like?
Again, have fun with it. We've been getting some really creative answers over the last few weeks, so keep 'em coming!
Fear Effect.

Great games but the last one was cancelled half-way. Boo!

I'm pretty sure Eidos has the license gathering dust in a drawer somewhere...

Content-wise they were pretty close to Ritualistic's stuff, they had a good story too. Maybe Ritualistic could make the controls a bit less stiff.

Last edited by a_nevels666 : 10-25-2006 at 04:50 PM.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Shoelip
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666 View Post
Content-wise they were pretty close to Ritualistic's stuff, they had a good story too. Maybe Ritualistic could make the controls a bit less stiff.
Ritual!!

Ritualistic is the fan site!! It even says it in the OP!! Guar!! Die you mistaken person!! >: (
Old 10-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Doom franchise, seriously I don't know what they were thinking when they made Doom 3.

It relied too heavily on darkness and enemies suddenly appearing out of said darkness for scares... this quickly became repetitive and irritating having to constantly switch between a flash light and a gun.

System Shock 2 was pretty scary for it's time and it didn't rely on making everything too damned dark to see where you are going.

I would hope that if ritual made the next doom that it would take place over several locations and that at least the majority of those locations have proper lighting.

Maybe something cool like fighting them on earth, heck maybe even a new story. Instead of just reopening the same damned portal again and again and again (which the doom 3 expansion pack did...zzz).
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
Daelin
Rookie

Jill of the Jungle.
Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Standoff
Veteran

I'd be tempted to say an old Monolith series but I've never seen anyone make FPSes quite like Monolith does, so maybe not.

Hmm...

I would say Ashes to Ashes because it would be so funny to see a really good remake of a total crap game...

But maybe Red Faction would be more appropriate. That one was an interesting series that I never really tried beyond the demos...
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #11
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

I'd love to see Ritual continue the Quake series. Since you guys started with that, it seems appropriate.

Deus Ex also comes to mind. As someone already said, you guys definitely know action, so it'd be interesting to delve into the RPG side of things. Deus Ex never really had good "combat" so it could up the ante a notch. Also, having Zak do the music for Deus Ex (which already has one of the best scores out there) would guarantee a sale from myself.

Finally, I agree with the poster who stated Duke Nukem. Hell yeah. But that will never happen.

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote