Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Ritual Entertainment QotW: The Weakest Link

Sorry about the lack of a QotW yesterday. Lack of sleep plus technical documentation review equal brain fart.

Anyway, on to this week's QotW:
If you could pick one game mechanic to eliminate from all games released from today forward, what game mechanic would you eliminate and why?
Example: I'd get rid of pixel-perfect hit detection on enemy models. That level of precision just isn't necessary in an entertainment product.

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Default Re: QotW: The Weakest Link

Hmm, quite a few things I can think of.

Long unskippable intros/cutscenes. For example: BLACK, has a 10+ minunte length intro movie that cannot be skipped...

Constantly having to search for keys to progress to the next area. Having to constantly search for PDA's to progress to the next area in Doom 3 really pissed me off. Such a game mechanic should've died off with Duke Nukem 3D all those years ago. Resident Evil 2 was also very annoying to play, not because of the monsters, but because of the sheer amount of keys in it.

Boss enemies that look human, but have like a trillion hit points. If they look like just a regular human they shouldn't be the toughest enemy in the entire game. XIII suffered from this, the last boss was just a regular guy, but took thousands of hits to kill.

Yeah more than one and I have more, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Riddled
Veteran

Tutorials that break the 'Fourth Wall' by refering to YOU instead of the CHARACTER.

--------------------

Riddled: I'm not mentally retarded, I'm just special!
Riddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Xenogenetic
Addict

Enemies that just stand there when you are running towards them shooting, for once I would like grunts to be scared of me.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Dawgfan
Rookie

I always hated the fact your character has more weapons and ammo than a small armory yet fences and office doors can easily stop him from advancing. I don't really mind when walls that should be breakable aren't, but I don't like temporary things lasting forever like shelves and some vehicles you or your enemy shouldn't be able to hide behind objects forever that are destructable in real life.

I don't mind long cutscenes if:

A) I can skib it
B) It is a well done and serves a purpose
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Shoelip
Experienced

Fake choices, I just find it insulting when games give you every indication of a choice that should alter some plot or gameplay mechanic but either does the same thing no matter what you choose or does not actually allow you to choose one of the options.

That's the only thing I can think of that pertains to all games.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
PizzasRgooD
Regular

Heroes in RTS games.
Special abilities for units in RTS games. (can you tell I seriously dislike warcraft)
Realism in fps games that shouldn't have realism (meaning, it's ok in rainbow six and operation flashpoint, but is a bad thing pretty much any other shooter) eg I don't want to throw away the john woo pistols in FEAR because I can only carry a couple of guns.
PizzasRgooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

I would get rid of any game mechanic that encourages realism over fun. Yeah, you can't really hold a rocket launcher and 8 other guns at the same time, but hey, it's fun to blow shit up.

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Standoff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzasRgooD View Post
Heroes in RTS games.
Special abilities for units in RTS games. (can you tell I seriously dislike warcraft)
What's that have to do with Warcraft?
Pretty much every RTS has that stuff...Empire at War, Dawn of War, heck even every Command and Conquer game (even if initially they weren't named heroes...)

As to limited weapons, it makes sense for games that may not be realistic, but are still based in the real world.

I guess I can't think of any game mechanics I'd need to get rid of, technical things like the cutscenes do suck though. So do cutscenes that play every time you launch the game. But if there was one mechanic I would improve on, it'd be having RPGs give you more choice into how your starting character looks.

Hell, you can easily spend a few hours in City of Heroes' character creator, and although I wouldn't expect something of that depth, it'd still be nice to have an improvement in the area.

...of course, thinking up improvements is easy. I'll think on the actual question <grin>

Last edited by Standoff : 10-11-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
ran93r
Addict

Agree with long intro's and cut scenes being scrapped (although not a game mechanic as such), especially ones where ESC brings up the game menu and there is no "skip this crap" option.

I'm relatively easy going, thinking back to recent titles though:

Mob spawners that continue to pop endless mobs out at you until an invisible checkpoint has been passed. This hinders progress.

Any kind of "on-rails" level where you are essentially just a gunner/driver/whatever. It might be a nice story element as a transition from one level to the next but nothing makes me want to switch off (or find the level skip cheat) more than this kind of nonsense. Even though you have a degree of control (over the crosshair/gun turret etc) it feels so far removed from the kind of gameplay that I had been enjoying up until that point.

All kinds of bullet time have been done, get over it already.

Team control. Still not seen this add anything to the game and I can't think of anything recently where is was anything more than a hindrance *cough* HL2. This is probably FPS specific, I can look the other way for titles that employ team/squad control as a primary game mechanic.

Going OT a little but things that never get old:
Multiplayer support

... sorry, did I say that out loud

--------------------
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
CMB
Addict

nubs d
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
Raveness
Veteran

Amazed no one has mentioned jumping puzzles with flimsy control schemes

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
Shoelip
Experienced

Wow, I disagree with most of the posts in this thread.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
PizzasRgooD
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standoff View Post
What's that have to do with Warcraft?
Pretty much every RTS has that stuff...Empire at War, Dawn of War, heck even every Command and Conquer game (even if initially they weren't named heroes...)
Warcraft started the whole thing, other developers just looked at it and thought it would be a good feature to copy (.. sort of like ritual seems to have taken silent blade from silent gordon)
Ofcourse they picked the wrong game to copy, command&conquer does not have heroes or abilities and is more fun. C&C generals does not count, because it copied all those things from warcraft too.
(previous c&c games never had heroes.. they had special units that could kick ass, but they don't level or have any spells to cast. Any abilities were activated by clicking on the target eg C4 on buildings. It is in fact impossible to have the 'warcraft' features in the old c&c interface, because it only shows building options and minimap.)

So yea my defenition of hero is a bit skewed because of the games that have them, you're right technically but I'm right too.. untechnically..
PizzasRgooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Sarkie
Community Moderator

Third Person game where we have to control the camera and such, I like to play not move the camera so I can see the enemies killing me.

--------------------
Sarkie
http://sarkies.blogspot.com/
Sarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkie View Post
Third Person game where we have to control the camera and such, I like to play not move the camera so I can see the enemies killing me.
Not having to move the camera at times may be good, but others it can be bad. For example what if you enter a dungeon, then your camera will have to automatically rotate, but often these automatic rotating systems don't work well and walls block your view.

I agree having to move the camera as well as the character at the same time can be annoying in 3rd person view games. That is why I use a gamepad on my PC for games like that.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote