Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Ritual Entertainment QotW: Denouement

First off, if you haven't looked at the motivational posters from last week, you should. (Warning: One of them is not work safe.)

Second, next week will be the last QotW of the year. New questions (with 50% less sawdust filler) to resume in January 2007.

Third, this week's question:
Which "next-generation" console is going to win this particular console war: the Xbox 360, the PLAYSTATION® 3 or the Wii? Why?
This may sound silly, but it really isn't as clear cut as you might think.

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
ran93r
Addict

Default Re: QotW: Denouement

It's hard to call it a proper war at this point. The 360 has the obvious head start but both of the competition consoles have a fair amount of things going for them. I'm perfectly happy to look beyond the price of the PS3 as to be honest, my main focus for buying any console is the quality of available titles and to a lesser degree, what I like to call bonus features.

I don't own a 360 and quite likely never will. I didn't buy an original xbox as at the time I didn't see the need to buy a PC in a box with little to no exclusive titles, MS have gotten their head around that this time and ports will quite likely be in the minority or heavily weighed in favour of the 360 having a major lead on the other systems. That doesn't mean it's winning anything mind you. I always was a sucker for Bungie trailers and sure, H3 looks pretty nice but I can't justify buying a system for one game. The same can be said for any of them.

It's quite fun sitting up here on this fence but I'm happy to wait and see how it all pans out. I own a PS1, PS2, PSP, Cube, GBA and a DS so if you had to peg me into a fanboy camp it would be Tendo and Sony and personally if I would have to choose I would go with Sony but ultimately, the titles always speak louder than the hardware.

-edit-
After having looked down at some of the arguments, I wanted to say that people comparing image quality at this stage is a little silly. It's no secret that anyone who has spoken on the subject hates the PS3 dev kit. I think it will be quite some time before we start to see the kind of polish that 360 titles are known for graphically. Again, not like that's winning them anything as far as I'm concerned. This is a war not a skirmish and I'm in it for the long haul.

--------------------

Last edited by ran93r : 11-14-2006 at 08:54 PM.
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Raveness
Veteran

The one which gets the most net profit and increased market share. The rest is entirely subjective.

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Xenogenetic
Addict

Zboz: Win (For games, controller, HDTV, Live)

PS3: First, the commercial seems to advertise the wrong release date. Second it is really expensive and [will have gimicky features that I don't want]. Third they aren't shipping a lot so it won't be available to a lot of people. Fifth there is already an Xbox360 to buy.

Wii: It's cheaper than both but even Nintendo says its meant to complement the other two systems. I would also feel really gaydumbretarded moving around like that with a controller. No HDTV support.

--------------------

Last edited by Xenogenetic : 11-13-2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: I read the last sentence in badman's news post :O
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
Shoelip
Experienced

Well it seems like the XBox 360 is just a dumbed down PC, but it really seems like it will appeal to america's "idiot masses" the most out of the three. The Wii is a bit iffy, it's supposedly targeted at casual gamers but it sure is weird, which might scare some away. Also, it doesn't look very powerful from what I've seen of it's graphics. Finally the PS3 is the most powerful and will likely have the most successful exclusive titles but with it's price tag and it's later release it'll be hard for it to compete with the 360. So I'd say it'll be a close fight between Xbox 360 and PS3 in the US but I won't try to say who'll win.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 AM   #6
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Console wars come and go, but the PC endures.

At the moment the Xbox 360 is definitely winning for obvious reasons. I doubt the PS3 will catch up, if it remains at it's current price it will never outsell the Xbox 360.

People who choose a console over a PC are usually doing so because it's cheaper. However the PS3 is a price of a new computer and it's games are far from cheap either, some being $100 even.

The Wii is something different it will sell quite well, but not sure if it will better the Xbox 360. I can see the potential in the controller, but you get that: "it's silly"; "makes you look stupid"; "It's for kiddies" attitude that will keep it from selling as well as they expect.

For example most people won't even try Psychonauts or Sam and Max, because it's graphics make it look kid friendly. Even though the humour in those games is far from kiddie.

Last edited by CommanderZx2 : 11-14-2006 at 06:37 AM.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
Xpiredperson
Experienced

I'd Proberly say the 360 because its had a head start.
Take a look at the Ps2 released way before the Xbox and it still sells games quite well.
Because the Xbox 360 has been released it has loads of good titles already and more on the way.

--------------------
Xpiredperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Just thought I'd like to throw something in here for those that think the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox 360. (To be honest I hate all consoles, but I think this shows which one is better)

Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Riddled
Veteran

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12009016435066

Both humorous and informative.

--------------------

Riddled: I'm not mentally retarded, I'm just special!
Riddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddled View Post
That person failed at their bashing video, there's clearly a "60 minutes from here" sign in the PS3 line.

Therefore from that point on there's at least a queue worth of 60 minutes of waiting just beyond that.

PS3 queue might be shorter than the Wii, but it's far from being that short.
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4530/60minutesfr1.jpg

Last edited by CommanderZx2 : 11-14-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Tyrant9
Experienced

No love for the Wii? Dude, that remote should solve all the problems we had with console FPSs, particularly aiming!
Tyrant9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant9 View Post
No love for the Wii? Dude, that remote should solve all the problems we had with console FPSs, particularly aiming!
Wii promotes being an emo, just check out Link's black lipstick in this official image:

I pointed this out to some Nintendo fans and all I got in return was insults. Nothing can get in the way of their perfect illusion of that console and it's games.

I tried to point out the funny side, but wow... like rabid dogs fighting over a bone they are. Anyway I still think the Xbox 360 will win this console war, but I shall be staying with the PC.

Last edited by CommanderZx2 : 11-14-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
Rosco

Vista!
Why? DirectX 10 Baby! Oh Yea!

--------------------
Consoles are Schwag
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #14
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Apparently the Wii takes AA batteries. So every time they run low you'll have to replace them or take them out and put them on charge (if you've got rechargeable batteries). Best of all the Wii does not come with a battery recharger or rechargeable batteries.

When it comes to the PS3, it's battery cannot be replaced by you. Thus when it dies after so many recharges you'd have to send the controller in to sony for them to replace the battery.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #15
Shallow
Rookie

This survey is interesting:

http://blog.compete.com/index.php/20...traffic-stats/

Also, I really don't understand why some people are fans of a particular console maker. It's like being fans of a particular company's washing machines or toasters to the exclusion of all others. Consoles are just machines for playing games, so I buy whatever systems have games I want to play on them, and carry no particular loyalty from one generation to the next.
Shallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Shoelip
Experienced

Well I believe people prefer the PS2/3 because it's got allot of exclusive games, people prefer the GC and Wii for the same reason, and the Wii also has very unique controls. People prefer the X-Box/ X-Box 360 because it's cheaper than a PC, or at least because they want to play certain games before they get a crappy or at least badly optimized port to the PC (Halo). Or they're a Mac user and want to play PC games without "sinking" to the PC user's level.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #17
Rosco

I'm kind of jaded when it comes to consoles (see signature below) however with the coming of Gears of War I've considered a XBox 360, but I would only want it if I could plug in a keyboard & mouse, and play it on my monitor. My monitor far exceeds the quality of my television set, I just do not watch tv much unless a really good game is on. I have a 20" monitor, my television is a 20+ year old Curtis Mathis that is 17" diagonal. My 43 year old diabetic hands that are beginning to show stages of arthritis do not like game controllers of any kind. Keyboard and mouse only for me, or I just don't play the game.

--------------------
Consoles are Schwag
Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
Rosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Wii promotes being an emo, just check out Link's black lipstick in this official image:
LOL! Thanks for the great image, I just put that in a Digg post, time to find out how fast I get buried!
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Zelda_Tw...ual#c3843 177

Well, that was fast indeed, in less than an hour I've was buried. I'm impressed at their conviction towards their game.

--------------------
Consoles are Schwag

Last edited by Rosco : 11-15-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #19
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

I found this site, it's quite interesting. It's supposed to track sales of the consoles:
http://nexgenwars.com/
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #20
Xenogenetic
Addict

PS3's are going for over 10k on ebay, I guess that says something.

--------------------
Old 11-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #21
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
PS3's are going for over 10k on ebay, I guess that says something.
Same thing happened to the Xbox 360 when it was released.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
Xenogenetic
Addict

No way, the Xbox360 went for $1000 max. PS3's are going for way more.

--------------------
Old 11-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #23
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
No way, the Xbox360 went for $1000 max. PS3's are going for way more.
Example:

Some info:
http://www.traderstrade.com/cgi-bin/...ttblog=1122051

Anyway I've noticed that quite a few launch titles for the Wii are getting some real bashing in the reviews. Some sites give them perfect 10/10 scores and then others rubbish them.

Last edited by CommanderZx2 : 11-18-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
Xenogenetic
Addict

Wow. I guess I missed that one, but on average the PS3's are selling for a lot more than Xbox360's did.

--------------------
Old 11-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
Raveness
Veteran

My boyfriend picked up a PS3 without having to wait in an overnight line and just sold it on Ebay for $3,000 CDN

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote