Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 10-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Valzan

Default A Different Kind of FPS

First, I'd like to say that while this is my first post here, I've actually been lurking for quite some time. I normally shy away from boards, but this one actually seems to be a lot less...well..."fudged up" then the rest. Plus, I'm a HUUUUGE fan of rituals games and really want to join in. Fakk2, EF2, Emergence...I even have Scourge of Armagon (even though I can't get it to work in windows XP after trying for 3 years)

Anyway, I see some posters that keep comparing Emergence to HL2. Now, I love HL2, but these two games are polar opposites within the FPS genre and should not be compared.

As an FPS fan since the summer of 1993 (Wolfenstien 3D FTW) I have seen them all, and noticed that you have 3 different types. The "Epic" shooter, the "Run n Gun" shooter, and the FPS-RPG.

Epic shooters are heavily scripted, story driven, slow paced, cinematic masterpieces that focus on telling a tale rather then blowing things up. Games like HL1&2, FEAR, Undying and NOLF2 fall into this category.

FPS-RPG games are self explanatory. Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock.

But the Run N gun style, the "old school" style is the subgenre Emergence belongs to. It's meant to be a nonstop roller coaster ride of blood, headshots, and explosions. It is a style that is often looked down upon by the "epic style" or "FPS RPG" fans.

Basically, what I'm saying here is (I'm rambling, I know) that Emergence is probably the best old school, run n gun FPS to come out since Quake 2. I have gone through the first episode at least a dozen times, and will often (when bored) just load it up and burn throguh it in a couple of hours. It's fast paced, very fluid (No "boring parts") and doesn't bog the player down.

It's fun.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just got tired of seeing some people come here and keep starting sentences with "But Half-Life 2 has...."

ritual is old school. They are old farts like me that just want to play an FPS that lets you blow crap up and maybe laugh at a few things on the way through. (the "what is love" bobble head secret in the NAC room pwned all)

Ritual, love you guys. Platonically, of course.
Valzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert
Default Re: A Different Kind of FPS

Hear hear!

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Stylsy
I'm on offense!

Send a message via MSN to Stylsy Send a message via Skype™ to Stylsy

Agree with you 100%!

And since you have such good taste in games, welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Stylsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Standoff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valzan View Post
Anyway, I see some posters that keep comparing Emergence to HL2. Now, I love HL2, but these two games are polar opposites within the FPS genre and should not be compared.
I would compare all FPSes if I had the energy. You are right, they're very different games, but that they came out near the same time and use the same engine invites comparisons.

Hell, if we didn't compare things, we wouldn't be able to identify the reasons we like things in the first place.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Frostbite
Casual

To bad Run and Gun shooters get boring about half way in for me...to much repitition IMO. If SiN Episodes had more guns, and enemies it wouldn't be as boring...(It's not so boring still more exciting than Battlefield 2..=p)
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Valzan

Frostbite: Yeah, RnG FPS's do tend to drag on, unless you have enough little "extras" to keep things random enough to be interesting afetr the 45th play-through.

One reason I like SiN:Emergence is the reaction you get for headshots. The brain splatter, the head flying off, the body skidding across the floor. I've never seen a game "Sell" headshots so well. I really can't wait until we get an online DM mode.

Throw in the hidden areas, the Arena mode, and the scoring system and you have a really good reason to keep booting it up.

As for comparing them, I do agree with you there. Nothing wrong with comparing HL2 to SiN:E, but I just think it's unfair to Ritual to use that "...but HL2 has it" argument that I've seen around here.

HL2 doesn't sever enemy heads after headshots and jettison the brain out of the skull. I want THAT in the next patch.
Valzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Frostbite
Casual

Quote:
Frostbite: Yeah, RnG FPS's do tend to drag on, unless you have enough little "extras" to keep things random enough to be interesting afetr the 45th play-through.

One reason I like SiN:Emergence is the reaction you get for headshots. The brain splatter, the head flying off, the body skidding across the floor. I've never seen a game "Sell" headshots so well. I really can't wait until we get an online DM mode.

Throw in the hidden areas, the Arena mode, and the scoring system and you have a really good reason to keep booting it up.

As for comparing them, I do agree with you there. Nothing wrong with comparing HL2 to SiN:E, but I just think it's unfair to Ritual to use that "...but HL2 has it" argument that I've seen around here.

HL2 doesn't sever enemy heads after headshots and jettison the brain out of the skull. I want THAT in the next patch.
Although it wouldn't fit into Half-Life's Theme...it's a dark depressing world...it would lose some atmosphere with SiN like Headshots...Although SiN on the other hand seems to be designed around that aspect =p
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Shoelip
Experienced

"BOOM Headshot!!"

It's good that it actually has a somewhat interesting plot and characters as well. Hm I guess Halo would be run and gun, it definatelly doesn't have any rpglike elements and I don't think it quite fits in epic since the story is rather generic, if well told, and it definatelly focuses on blowing things up. So can we compair Emergeance to Halo?
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
guru7892
Experienced

Diffrent kinds of FPS sell to diffrently.

It seems like the 'epic' shooter appeals much more to the rating audience and the casual gamer. If this is what most of the consumers want, be prepared to deliver or go out of buissness.

as far as comparison for run and gun shooters, UT'04 felt really really good. The learning curve made the game fun, although many of the enviroments felt way too restricted. also its way too dated for me to play either.

Sin:E also has the dynamic difficulty system that annoys me, atleast sometimes. when I apprach a challenge I like to overcome it, not have it get dumbed down for me.
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
Shoelip
Experienced

Well the great thing about SE:Es system is that you can make it so it doesn't get dumbed down when you encounter a challenge.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
Greybeard
Regular

Congratulations for getting some activity on the boards, again. It's been quiet lately.

Quote:
As an FPS fan since the summer of 1993 (Wolfenstien 3D FTW) ...
You must be as old as me (probably not)

Quote:
Epic shooters are heavily scripted, story driven, slow paced, cinematic masterpieces ... NOLF2 fall into this category.
NOLF2, and 1, are much overlooked games. I'm glad you gave them a mention.

Quote:
ritual is old school. They are old farts like me that just want to play an FPS that lets you blow crap up and maybe laugh at a few things on the way through ...
I'm playing EF2 at the moment and it's got as mad a set of secrets as you could hope for (bar the very mad Painkiller). Definitely "old school".

I think your categorization of the FPS genre was excellent. It's unfortunate that SiN and H-L2 started their episodes within weeks of one another. I agree they are otherwise incomparable. I thought H-L2:Ep1 was quite brilliant but one play through and that was that. I've played through Emergence a good few times.

Thanks for starting a very entertaining thread

Greybeard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Cynosure
Regular

I agree. There is no comparison. I played HL2 Ep1 twice. Sin Ep1 I have played through more times than any other single player FPS ever. Who said that run and gun game are boring??? Ritual did something right, because I keep coming back.
Cynosure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
Xenogenetic
Addict

run n gun should be the only fps style out there.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #14
Raveness
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
run n gun should be the only fps style out there.
Bull! That's analogous to saying that the only style of RPG should be D&D, or the only style of MMO should be the level grinder.

Each style has its merits, and Valzan referenced great games in example.

Quote:
I'm playing EF2 at the moment and it's got as mad a set of secrets as you could hope for (bar the very mad Painkiller). Definitely "old school".
Did you find the mini platform game?

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:01 AM   #15
Xenogenetic
Addict

You mean to say that there are more than just D&D rpgs?

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #16
Shoelip
Experienced

The whole D20 system supports at least dozens of different RPGs, and then there's White Wolf's World of Darkness games, and Call of Cthulu. Those are just the ones I know of from my limited experience.

Uh, but I guess you guys are only talking about cRPGs so... Yeah, there may not be one right way to do them but there sure is a wrong way. Making them into half-assed action games with none of the appeal of either genre! Well that's what I think.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #17
Greybeard
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
... Did you find the mini platform game?
I did and I was rubbish at it. Now I remember why I tend to play FPSs. And to stay on topic, that's FPSs of any genre

Cheers

Greybeard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #18
Frostbite
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic View Post
You mean to say that there are more than just D&D rpgs?
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelip View Post
"BOOM Headshot!!"

It's good that it actually has a somewhat interesting plot and characters as well. Hm I guess Halo would be run and gun, it definatelly doesn't have any rpglike elements and I don't think it quite fits in epic since the story is rather generic, if well told, and it definatelly focuses on blowing things up. So can we compair Emergeance to Halo?

How awsome wouldnt it be to hear Blade say that the first time he scores a HS in Ep2

Blade: BOOM Headshot!
JC: Glad to have you back boss!
Blade: Dont expect any hugs JC

Sin E managed to get the weapons right they are fun and feel powerful to use exept primary shotty...

Something HL2 failed miserably at doing the weaposn are boring powerless, mundane and feel clumsy to use...

--------------------
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #20
elwing
Regular

Quote:
Basically, what I'm saying here is (I'm rambling, I know) that Emergence is probably the best old school, run n gun FPS to come out since Quake 2.
It's almost right, but you forgot Sin and it's expansion, which is for me way better than quake 2 and event better than emergence, ok, it is not a pure "run n gun" it adds some of the "RPG style" with all the choice you can do by acomplishing different objective and discovering secret using the computer in game... but man, it's so great. i am still looking for a game with the armor looting depending on how good you shoot, on all these computer you can use, and on the U4 pickup...
elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #21
Riddled
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines...
<3 Troika RIP.

--------------------

Riddled: I'm not mentally retarded, I'm just special!
Riddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
Gothmog
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Gothmog

Amen!

Bloodlines... Arcanum...

Dreams... Memories... I couldn't tell the difference anymore...

--------------------
"I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All that we need decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #23
lokidoki
Regular

Arcanum is an awesome game.
lokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #24
Shoelip
Experienced

Don't forget parts of TOEE. Sure most of the rest of the game was rushed, gutted, buggy, and generally disapointing, but the implementation of the D&D 3.5 ed rules was great and the graphics were surprisingly good.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #25
Stilgar
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Stilgar

I don't think you're right when you say the games are uncomparable. The main reason for this is that I've never seen anyone compare the games as a whole.
Are you trying to say we can't compare the graphics or the fps?
Or maybe we can't compare the female sidekicks we get in both games? How about the weapons? (and here is one thing Emergence wins 100%)

I am one of the people who would say HL2 EP1 is better than Emergence(note that I LOVE Emergence and play it even more because of arena mode) and I am not saying that because I like the "epic" style more. I can say that StarCraft is better than Delta Force (a random FPS game that sucks) and I don't care that they are not even in the same genre.

--------------------
Fear is the mind-killer!
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote