Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #76
Blade_cop
Veteran

Default Re: Ep2. Canned?

Maybe Valve will give Ritual a hand with Episode 2?
Blade_cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #77
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_cop View Post
Not a chance. Valve may be on good terms with Ritual now, but there's still that certain amount of gain/loss that they have to worry about. Since SiN E wasn't exactly THAT popular they'd consider it more of a financial loss to take on Ep 2.

--------------------
Bounty_Hunter_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #78
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty_Hunter_Jo View Post
Not a chance. Valve may be on good terms with Ritual now, but there's still that certain amount of gain/loss that they have to worry about. Since SiN E wasn't exactly THAT popular they'd consider it more of a financial loss to take on Ep 2.
you guys should look here.

simply it sounds more like that the company got enough money from sin:E1 to stay afloat, but they didn't get a hit game. They also attribute this due to the fact the game got shoved into bargin bins when it was released.

personaly I think some common things that people didn't like was the, deviations from the original, lack of story, lack of physics use, and lack of weapons.

simply if they added a weapon that made physics seem more useful, and prehaps some physics based puzzles. just because it's teh future doesn't mean they can't have some tech go screwy. Adding more weapons(dual magnums?)is something we can be sure of seeing, so it should be a no brainer. the story wasnt really that intresting, and they could've reinforced the back-story better, especaily places you fight in.

also Blade in the original was much diffrent, called the shots and more talkitive, something they will probably bring back. also the gamplay was pretty linear, they know how to change this, but the individual episodes should be kept unlinear.

simply all this speculative stuff should lead to a better game. there is also a good chance that ritual has noticed all of this. the only way I think they could seriously make the game worse is to mess with the movement.

Last edited by guru7892 : 12-31-2006 at 05:40 PM.
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #79
Apprentice
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
1) When hell freezes over

2) When Jezus is reborn

3) When dinosaurs walk the earth again
Take your pick ...

--------------------
Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 PM   #80
Blade_cop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
Take your pick ...
I'll choose number...

2 when Jezus is reborn and see what happens.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #81
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Quote:
I'll choose number...

2 when Jezus is reborn and see what happens.
When Jesus is reborn all literal hell breaks loose and no one will be able to play the game anyway cause they're too busy living a real world Devil May Cry with no super powers o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru7892 View Post
you guys should look here.

simply it sounds more like that the company got enough money from sin:E1 to stay afloat, but they didn't get a hit game. They also attribute this due to the fact the game got shoved into bargin bins when it was released.

personaly I think some common things that people didn't like was the, deviations from the original, lack of story, lack of physics use, and lack of weapons.

simply if they added a weapon that made physics seem more useful, and prehaps some physics based puzzles. just because it's teh future doesn't mean they can't have some tech go screwy. Adding more weapons(dual magnums?)is something we can be sure of seeing, so it should be a no brainer. the story wasnt really that intresting, and they could've reinforced the back-story better, especaily places you fight in.

also Blade in the original was much diffrent, called the shots and more talkitive, something they will probably bring back. also the gamplay was pretty linear, they know how to change this, but the individual episodes should be kept unlinear.

simply all this speculative stuff should lead to a better game. there is also a good chance that ritual has noticed all of this. the only way I think they could seriously make the game worse is to mess with the movement.
I was talking in terms of Valve's perspective. Considering Ritual is just keeping their head above water with it in the first place means that Valve would be more likely to look at them and say "Hey... we thought the game was alright but we just can't aford to try and do something like that." They'd need proof that the francise (sp?) can do well before taking it on.

... Though, Sierra DID take TimeShift from Atari and pretty much ran that into the ground the moment they got it, which still depresses me. Oh well, just have to wait for STALKER now.

--------------------

Last edited by Bounty_Hunter_Jo : 01-01-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #82
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpapa View Post
Yeah, i know, but it's still derived for valves needs, that's why sin does seem like just an another HL2-clone, and that's the one i'm not so happy with, though i have enjoyed playing half life 1&2. The real feeling about playing SIN, is somehow missing, of cource it's just my opinion about it. But since they decided to make it that way, i really expect they keep continue with what they have allready started. A lil bit more away from the HL style, and it's a winner, then it's SIN like it should be.
Vampire: Bloodlines and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic use Source and don't "feel" like HL2. There were several dozen games based on the Quake 2/3 engine and they don't "feel" like Quake 2/3.

An engine doesn't dictate art style or design; even gameplay mechanics are largely up to specific implementation. Again, I do not see how the use of the Source engine was in any way detremental to Sin Episode 1. If the game was too similar to HL2 then only Ritual can be blamed. More than likely they were actively trying to copy much of HL2's style in an attempt to emulate success. This industry is built on copying success, and more often than not the clones never measure up.

Regarding Mustaine's comments, I think he's just making excuses. He blames the engine, he blames the pricing, but there's nothing to the effect of "yeah, maybe the game could have been a bit better too". He is, after all, heading up the development of this new game for the CPL, I'm sure he would not want to say anything that calls his own competance into question.

Also I know I'm getting off topic, but while I'm at it I'd like to comment on this quote from the Mustaine article: But he did express a feeling that the world hadn't been quite as ready for episodic content and digital delivery as they had banked on it being. That's the one thing that I sort of agree with. The sales of HL2: Episode 1 show that the world is ready for episodic gaming and digitial delivery - but only when it's based on a strong, already established IP. HL2: Episode 1 is just an expansion pack. Without Half-Life 2 being a great game and selling tons of copies I suspect HL2:Episode 1 would have sold as few copies of Sin: Episode 1. What the world was (and still is) not ready for was an episodic continuation of an 8 year old game that was never that popular to being with. Sin needed to be properly re-established. *sigh* if only I had been right way back when.

Last edited by Onden : 01-01-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Onden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #83
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onden View Post
Regarding Mustaine's comments, I think he's just making excuses. He blames the engine, he blames the pricing, but there's nothing to the effect of "yeah, maybe the game could have been a bit better too". He is, after all, heading up the development of this new game for the CPL, I'm sure he would not want to say anything that calls his own competance into question.
so simply, if ritual had made a better game these problems wouldn't be problems.

to be honest, I don't think this was strictly a design problem, but it could've been better with diffrent design.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #84
Standoff
Veteran

Quote:
Well, even if it wasn't Riddick's/Starbreeze's engine, you can see where one might get that impression with the same look and feel minus the lack of sneak attacks.

And seriously, do you need to go as far as asking if I'm high? Cause it certainly seems like an awefully petty thing to say for something so small :P
Having watched the anime your name refers to, yes, yes I do. <grin>

Seriously, I'm an ass. I'd think people would've noticed by now. Oh well.

And whether or not you could get that impression, which I don't know as I finished Riddick a long long time ago and am not about to load it up and find out, I'd think you know that Monolith has always been tied to Lithtech, although I believe in this case FEARs engine is for Lithtech rather than the other way around. Not entirely sure on that really.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #85
Bounty_Hunter_Jo
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standoff View Post
Having watched the anime your name refers to, yes, yes I do. <grin>

Seriously, I'm an ass. I'd think people would've noticed by now. Oh well.

And whether or not you could get that impression, which I don't know as I finished Riddick a long long time ago and am not about to load it up and find out, I'd think you know that Monolith has always been tied to Lithtech, although I believe in this case FEARs engine is for Lithtech rather than the other way around. Not entirely sure on that really.
Its the first time I've seen you on this forum that I can remember so you being an ass I wouldn't know anything about. But for future reference its good to know.

And everyone who's played Riddick EFBB and FEAR says that the similarities in style, as far as graphics and mechanics, are extremely close though, of course, not identical.

Yes, I do know Monolith and Lithtech are pretty well the same, played several games from them and I enjoy their innovative ideas with games.

--------------------
Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #86
Standoff
Veteran

Just bein goin through too much crap lately and my mood is matching. Go figure.

Oh well, shit happens.

I remember a lot of people saing D3 and Riddick looked a lot alike, hadn't heard the FEAR likeness yet. I suppose I can see the similarity in my mind as far as character models, but not much else.

Oh well. 5/8 days on the night audit recently after having been away from it for months. I'm going back to bed.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #87
Raveness
Veteran

All this talk of using a better engine is grasping at straws. Ritual is perfectly capable of modifying an existing engine to create a plausible fictional world, both aurually and visually as evidenced in their previous titles.

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #88
hot564231
Veteran

Quote:
"Its quite logical"

Anyway, no its not, because it was hippocritical to say "Shut up" and then say directly after "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" as you were just trying to supress someone's opinion by telling them to shut up. So no, it wasn't logical in the least. Its like watching a kid hit another kid and then going up to them and popping them on the back of the head only to say "Hey, we don't hit around here." See? Doesn't make sense does it?
I don't really care anymore...

--------------------

If i spam here it means i love being here [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
hot564231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #89
Standoff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
All this talk of using a better engine is grasping at straws. Ritual is perfectly capable of modifying an existing engine to create a plausible fictional world, both aurually and visually as evidenced in their previous titles.
Well I won't say either way as I'm not knowledgable enough to do so, but the little I've heard seems like Ritual wasn't fully happy with the way Source was handled.

You know, view from the outside and all that. Not like I'm all knowing.

Either way, seems like Unreal Engine 3 is the king right now.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #90
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standoff View Post
Either way, seems like Unreal Engine 3 is the king right now.
ritual has more experince with quake and quake like engines, that probably drove the choice.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #91
Raveness
Veteran

--------------------
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #92
Standoff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru7892 View Post
ritual has more experince with quake and quake like engines, that probably drove the choice.
I wasn't saying that they should've picked it or anything like that, just a side note.

Raveness posts some wierd shit, eh?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #93
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Evil Dead is a wierd movie, just like this thread
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #94
Onden
Regular

From the press release boyos (and girlo):

"The combination of Ritual’s™ high-end, multi-platform expertise and our own industry-leading publishing model will set the bar for quality and sophistication in casual games and create a major industry powerhouse."

Sin isn't a very casual game. Maybe Ep 2 enventually sees the light of day depending on how much work was done on it (though I doubt it was anywhere near complete), but I don't think we can expect much more beyond that.

We'll be forever left with 1/9 of a game (or at least 1/4 if you go by playtime). Episodic gaming is great isn't it!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #95
Standoff
Veteran

I would rather have played 1/9 of a great episodic game series than to have never played a full game that never got finished or was pushed out in a halfassed state because they didn't have the money.

Still, uhh, this definately warrants a WTF.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #96
Onden
Regular

Also, because I'm petty and immature: that theory wasn't so ridiculous now, was it Raveness?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #97
Raveness
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onden View Post
Also, because I'm petty and immature: that theory wasn't so ridiculous now, was it Raveness?
A previous CEO acquiring Ritual for his company doesn't correlate with people leaving the company unless they knew what was coming, and only they could know, not us.

Honestly I could care less anymore. I tried to go through Emergence again, couldn't make it through an hour. I think I preferred original SiN more, and even that was middle ground among the other FPS's out. Even if #2 was on track, there are too many other good PC title's coming, plus the Wii, I doubt I would have purchased it until a dry period.

Sad to see it go, but not many are gonna lose sleep over it.

--------------------
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #98
Blade_cop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
A previous CEO acquiring Ritual for his company doesn't correlate with people leaving the company unless they knew what was coming, and only they could know, not us.

Honestly I could care less anymore. I tried to go through Emergence again, couldn't make it through an hour. I think I preferred original SiN more, and even that was middle ground among the other FPS's out. Even if #2 was on track, there are too many other good PC title's coming, plus the Wii, I doubt I would have purchased it until a dry period.

Sad to see it go, but not many are gonna lose sleep over it.
Don't forget, Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is still on track to release this summer.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #99
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Well, shit. I guess this means there will be no console release. Good luck to Ritual in their future endeavors with MumboJumbo. Here's hoping a new FPS franchise starts up and they get things right this time, and that they aren't going to be stuck making cell phone games for the next five years.

--------------------
Ofanite comin' through!
...................___...........................
\/ | |\| |) | ( /-\ | | |\| {, /-\ |\| {, (- |_
Vindicating Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #100
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Well, it's R.I.P then, it was too good to be true anyways, to have Sin sequel
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote