Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Default A rather disappointed and annoyed SiN fan

I dunno how far i'm into it yet
</font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> little bit further from driving into the Sintek building </span><font class="post">, but so far, this has been a average to downright frustrating experience (I started with the difficultly slider half way). Here are some faults:

-First of all, this pseudo gordan freeman [censored] you have Blade doing is simply wrong. In SiN we had Blade quipping and chattering away almost non-stop. AND we had cut scenes and not this HL2-esque player POV crap (works great in HL, but not here). I heard someone mention some reason why he doesn't talk is because of the injection but i don't buy that, because when he acctually does talk, he sounds fine to me. He could've had PLENTY of dialogue that reflects his situation.

-When you guys said Sin Eps would take environment interactivity to the next level (or whatever it was. Something along those lines), i acctually beleived you. What kind of interactivty do we see? Less than Sin 1, and about the same as HL. Pick up this object, throw it here. Cycle through a monitor display. Ya-hoo.

-Magnum isn't as good as the original.
--First of all the sound is very weak compared to Sin 1's.
--It's rate of fire is too slow.
--The reload animation is appauling (as i mentioned ages ago, before release) and too long.
--And the model seriously lacks smoothing groups/hard edges. Having almost the entire thing soft edged on such a blocky object looks shite (and you really notice the tris in certain light situations). You really see the tris grouping together and makes a good model and texture look arse.

-Melee attacking sucks. It takes too long to initate and acctual impact isn't dependant of the player's aim being over the target at time of hit, but at the start of the action. EG, you hit the melee attack button while aiming in mid air, quickly move to the target before the weapon makes contact, and you still hit nothing. Seriously study Halo's melee attacking (Halo 1. Anims are better) for the best weapon based melee attacks in a FPS.

-Sin 1's shotgun was awesome. Had a tight spread, great sound and was devistating. This one is simply boring with your typical scatter that's so wide, you have to be hugging you enemy for them to get the total load. I was about a 1-1.5 metres away from someone, and it took two direct shots to the head (without armour) to kill him. It's because most of the pellets went around him. Also,what's the deal with him pumping it every time you reload? It's not so bad except it sits there for half a second before acctually pumping. HL2 had this system perfect, he'd only pump it after reloading if you didn't do it after the previous shot. Plus the reload animation is pretty dull and takes too long for only 6 shots per clip.

-When aiming/zooming, if you reload, pressing zoom while reloading should disable the zoom so you don't return to it after reloading (BiA did that, and shit me up the wall. CoD didn't, one of the most well balanced weapon systems in a FPS)

-The AR's painful. You can't aim the bastard when firing. Reload animation, again, sucks. There's so little idication that he's reloading because it's still in the idle pose for the first half of the animation. Again it's too long. Oh, and bug: the scope overlay remains for about a second after unzooming.

-What happened to body searching? That was a great unique thing in Sin 1. Did you guys think "Nope, don't need it." or something? :P

-Mutagen effect absolutely RAPES framerate, lags mouse and generally makes the game more annoying. I don't get it, is it supposed to be a powerup or a hazard?

-How the hell do you remove empty canisters from heal stations? I tried shooting it, i tried hitting it, i even tried USING it. I've got all these full canisters lying around, and no free station.

-Enemies NEVER miss you. I mean i can be standing behind something, a fraction of my head appearing above and they just constently firing, each shot hitting me. I understand they shouldn't be hopeless but this is just stupid.

-Enemies can not only see perfectly through obstructions like shattered glass, smoke and still seem to have 100% accuracy, but they also can see through freaking walls!

-Oh, and where the freak is the armour!? I'm getting owned here (those sintek arseholes with miniguns that never miss)!

-Major collision issues. HL2 had one of the worst collision problems in any game, since their character's bounding box seemed to be simply a box, not a cylinder or better yet, a diamond, you got stuck on anything. Sin Eps is worse. You have bits sticking out of walls EVERYWHERE. What's worse is you seemed to have not created seperate collision meshes for static props. Instead you've just used the display mesh, so on a hand rail model, that little tiny rim that sticks out not more than an inch, stops Blade in his tracks.

-Health pickups seem to not be evenly distributed. Some areas there's so little to no health at all, esspecially when you need it the most, then there's an area with a health station after health station.

It doesn't feel like Sin, and Sin did have many problems bug wise and gameplay wise but it was still very fun. This simply feels like another unbalanced, untested, quick to release, generic first person shooter.

/end rant/bitch/complaint
Sonic_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
nutcrackr
Experienced

Default Re: A rather disappointed and annoyed SiN fan

I have to agree with many of those points but perhaps not to the extreme you do. Just fyi you can remove empty canisters by pressing the screen at the top of the station, I thought the magnum was pretty good too.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Smoke39
Regular

I agree with a lot of your points, and overall I think a lot of the Sin feel is gone. I was having fun though, until the difficulty got too frustrating.

btw
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic_Wang:
-How the hell do you remove empty canisters from heal stations? I tried shooting it, i tried hitting it, i even tried USING it. I've got all these full canisters lying around, and no free station.
push the red button at the top of the dispensor to eject the empty cannister. I didn't figure that out 'til I read it here somewhere.
Smoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by nutcrackr:Just fyi you can remove empty canisters by pressing the screen at the top of the station
AH! Thank you! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
djbell
Experienced

I agree, except without the fury.

Hey man you've been on the forum almost as long as I have, bet you killed me on a hoverbike before!
djbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Zinfacter
Regular

Woa, you're opinion/complaint and all, but I disagree :P I think this is one of the best FPS I've played since....Doom
Zinfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Moleculor
Casual

Uhm... with the difficulty slider half way, you're in for a very -very- challenging game. Default is 'medium' ish. Half way is 'hard' if not 'really fracking hard'.

That said, I agree with most of what you said ('cept the FPS problem with mutagen. Must be your computer). And I rather LIKE this game, despite its problems.
Moleculor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
CrimsonDeathBed
Rookie

I dont think the idea was to make a sin 1 copy. As for you dying alot, maybe you should just practice some more. I havenít had any problem with dying alot and alot of other people havenít either. As for dialogue, I buy that it is because of the injection. This is episode one. I'm sure in later episodes, blade will have much more dialogue. Alot ofp eople seem to be looking at this game from a non-episode point of view. They are acting like its a full game like half life 2. But thats just my opinion. Its a shame you cant get more into the game.
CrimsonDeathBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #9
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Moleculor:
Uhm... with the difficulty slider half way, you're in for a very -very- challenging game. Default is 'medium' ish. Half way is 'hard' if not 'really fracking hard'.
It's not hard all the time. It's inconsistant. You get into areas of about 10 guys coming at you at once, and with their perfect aim and xray vision. it gets really frustrating. I have managed to scrape through them with so little health that i find myself back tracking to find more health before progressing.

Oh, forgot this one:
-Spherical incendiary grenades. Grenades rarely ever go where i want them (HL2's cylindrical nades almost always ended up where i intend). And the fact that all grenades are incendiary can be really annoying to me, personally. I'd much rather a good frag.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
PrivateNewbie
Regular

Well I'm glad you posted this. This is what's great about Episodic content... things can be changed. Now lets just hope the Ritualistic looks at posts like this and learns what the players are thinking.

You're totally right, the game needs to be more SiN 1 like, cutscenes, Blade speaking, and mulitple routes through levels.
PrivateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #11
Omega1
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonDeathBed:
This is episode one. I'm sure in later episodes, blade will have much more dialogue. Alot ofp eople seem to be looking at this game from a non-episode point of view. They are acting like its a full game like half life 2.
This is the beginning of a series of episodes, and so far it's not off to the greatest start unless they decide to entirely redesign the game at this stage.

Anyway, I agree with all of the above stated.
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #12
CoolHand4031

You guys have got to understand that these days a six hour game IS a full game! I mean seriously now guys, Come On give the developers a break and appreciate the work instead of dissing something you can't even copy!
CoolHand4031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
nutcrackr
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic_Wang:
-Spherical incendiary grenades. Grenades rarely ever go where i want them (HL2's cylindrical nades almost always ended up where i intend). And the fact that all grenades are incendiary can be really annoying to me, personally. I'd much rather a good frag.
Yep the grenades were far too bouncy, good throw distance, but they bounced so much that getting them to land were you wanted was a game in itself.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #14
Smoke39
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CoolHand4031:
You guys have got to understand that these days a six hour game IS a full game! I mean seriously now guys, Come On give the developers a break and appreciate the work instead of dissing something you can't even copy!
They want feedback so they can improve future episodes. Ignoring flaws and keeping criticism to ourselves does Ritual no good.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke39:
They want feedback so they can improve future episodes. Ignoring flaws and keeping criticism to ourselves does Ritual no good.
Yeah, exactly. I hope Ritual do address these issues, and address them for episode 1, rather than waiting for the next episode for improvments.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

It's funny how only so called "SiN Fans" are disappointed yet people that are fans are different fps games are loving it.

For example: Not a single person on this one HL forum that I go to has complained about the difficulty, they all just enjoyed the challenge.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #17
Smoke39
Regular

I have no problem with challenge in the game. What I have a problem with is that the slider that should allow you to CHOOSE if you WANT such challenge doesn't seem to do much. Also, I do like other FPSs, but I don't want Sin, which has its own unique flavor, to lose its personality by being too much like other games already out.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #18
Omega1
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CommanderZx2:
It's funny how only so called "SiN Fans" are disappointed yet people that are fans are different fps games are loving it.

For example: Not a single person on this one HL forum that I go to has complained about the difficulty, they all just enjoyed the challenge.
Are you denying that the game ever becomes unfairly difficult to the point of utter ridiculousness?
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #19
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega1:
Quote:

Are you denying that the game ever becomes unfairly difficult to the point of utter ridiculousness?
Yes, because it doesn't.

I've played harder games than this. Try Call of duty 1 on highest difficulty, I think it was Veteran. You'd die from practically a single rifle hit. You had to kill almost every single enemy without being shot. After you've died 1000+ times in that, come back and tell me SiN emergence is hard.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #20
Smoke39
Regular

Dude, I'm playing with the difficulty TWO lines away from "casual," and this is one of the hardest games I've ever played, to the point of great frustration. High difficulty is okay, as long as the option for low difficulty actually works.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #21
Jim_Jones

I'd have to agree with a lot of these points. Reloads take waaaay too long. It sucks when you get rushed and capped because you're in the middle of a 4-second reload. The Magnum and shotgun reloads are the worst, it looks like Blade is just taking his time and forgetting steps. "Okay, i load the magazine and then...oh yeah, gotta charge it!" A guy who's been killing most of his life should have his mag changes down.(BTW, they're called magazines, not clips. Just a pet peeve of mine.) Grenades seem to bounce and roll too much. I thought melee attacks were too slow to really bother using in the game, and not as powerful as they should be. I shot a guy a couple times with a magnum then melee'd him, he still didn't fall. The AR seemed fine. And finally, i wish Blade had more dialogue. Not an endless volley or anything, but something to keep it interesting and give Blade more character. I'm sure these have all been mentioned already, but it's just more to support the cause!
Jim_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #22
hahnchen
Experienced

Quote:
I've played harder games than this. Try Call of duty 1 on highest difficulty, I think it was Veteran. You'd die from practically a single rifle hit. You had to kill almost every single enemy without being shot. After you've died 1000+ times in that, come back and tell me SiN emergence is hard.
Yeah, but in CoD you purposely chose a rock hard game. AvP2 set on the hardest difficulty was impossible and so are many other games. In SiN Episodes, they wanted an easier game and the dynamic difficulty has made it universally challenging for everyone. True, making it universally challenging was one of the aims of the dynamic difficulty, but they seem to have overestimated the challenge that people wanted.
hahnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #23
anton_es
Casual

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke39:
Quote:
Originally posted by CoolHand4031:
you are right. think of FEAR. it finished it in 6hours first time. 4 hours second!!!!! and they charged 50 !!!!! storyline was stupid, too, i knew
paxton was my brother 30mins into the game. guessing alma is
my kin took me 5 seconds after that, only revelation her being my mother
i got after the first birth-nightmare. so much about originality.

i dont think the game is too hard.
try cod2 on realistic/veteran without crosshair. HAHAHAHA

i had no fps-drops whatsoever apart from the big outdoor levels, but
that is the source-engine

i think: its episodic gaming so the best is going to come.
they started the storyline and ended with a cliffhanger. fine with me

blade willl loosen up i think.
but I think his audio responses where too "enthusiastic" being under
drugs and all.....

and remember: they enemy AI CAN AND WILL shoot thru crates, even doors and walls if they THINK u are there. they do not know but they
try anyway. thats the dynamic in dynamic difficulty:they get
desperate !!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and it's true, if there are flames of the nades and u cannot see thru -&gt;
the AI can. like in FarCry they could see you "through" the jungle
even if u hid behind a tree cause it was an asset, not part of the terrain.

(will be 100% right in CRYSIS, the farcry-successor)
anton_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #24
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Quote:
CoD1 on hardest skill is much better. It was challenging. There is a difference to challenging and frustratingly difficult. RE4 (my all time favourite game) was one game where the Pro mode was very challenging, but not frustrating.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #25
anton_es
Casual

u are right. COD was better.

COD2 was just a shorter (again this word: SHORTER) rehash
of the old game with next-gen graphics (again this word: NEXT-GEN)
(see a cont.theme here:
NEXT GEN == REHASH == SHORTER == NO LONGER BADASS)
like todays Hollywood-teenie-horror-remakes.

NOTHING will ever beat:
THE MAN WITHOUT THE RIFLE FOLLOWS THE MAN WITH THE RIFLE

But COD falls into the old, golden FPS age where games where hours over hours of joy........COD, DeusEx, SystemShock1+2, FarCry, HL1

anton_es is offline   Reply With Quote